Your colleagues and competition seem to be a step ahead. You’re seeing them in magazines or on TV, speaking at conferences (virtually), and each appearance is providing more visibility for their business. If you’ve come this far, chances are you’re great at what you do, but self-promotion only tells your story to those you’re connected to. How can you elevate your position as a thought-leader with organic promotion for your brand or company to a target audience?
When potential clients come to me, they usually have a goal in mind, but sometimes it’s not the right one. Landing an appearance on the TODAY Show is sure to give you visibility, but is it the right move strategically for yourself and your business, and does it reach your target audience?
It’s important to understand that PR alone won’t bring in more clients or make more sales. Our job is to get people interested in your work and your business by securing placements and/or speaking engagements that deliver exposure, credibility and visibility.
When Is The Right Time To Invest In PR? Here’s A Checklist:
- You’re Ready To Launch A Product Or Business – Even if it’s a re-launch of something but you want to share the news with the world
- You’re Ready For The Spotlight – To position yourself as a leading expert in your industry, increase your visibility, credibility, and thought-leadership position.
- You’re Ready To Invest – PR can cost thousands of dollars a month depending on who you work with and what goals you’re working to accomplish.
- You’re Willing To Make PR A Priority – PR takes a LOT of time, and those who work collaboratively with a PR team are the ones who are most successful.
When Is It NOT The Right Time?
- You’re Not Ready To Commit The Time – If you’re not willing to drop everything when an opportunity comes calling. The press will always find a back-up if it isn’t you.
- You’re Not Excited + Engaged – I won’t take on clients who don’t understand the value of PR or aren’t excited about the process.
If Now Is The Right Time – Here Are Some Tips For Finding The Right Publicist:
- They Understand Your Work – Make sure he/she/the firm has a personal interest in you or your work. I never sign an author client whose book I wouldn’t personally read for pleasure. A publicist needs to be your biggest cheerleader.
- They Understand The Media – It’s a plus if they have experience working on the “other side” aka in the media. I spent a decade as a journalist and know exactly how to pitch the press and when to pitch them with the right story.
- They Understand Your Target – Know your audience and clearly define it to your publicist so he/she can develop a strategic approach on which media outlets will deliver your target audience with scale.
If you’re ready to invest in publicity and find a publicist, we would love to speak with you! Email Janine Inscoe at [email protected] to set up a call!