Over the years, I’ve worked with a countless number of individuals and companies on crafting verbal messages that will resonate with their audience. Note that I say “verbal” for a reason. Why? Because the way we write and the way we speak are two very different things, and it is important to know this.
According to HubSpot, people remember 95% of a video’s message compared to 10% of what they read in text. This means that the way you communicate your message (i.e. the main point you want people to remember about you and your work) and doing so verbally matters in a big way, whether it is a social media video, a Facebook Live, a speaking engagement, a new business call, a media interview, and more.
How can you share your message in a way that inspires people to take action, gets them to invest in you and your work, is relatable, and most importantly, that they remember you?
First, you need to put in the work to ensure our message is delivered in a powerful way that is resonating and remembered. Don’t ever try to “wing” your message. This takes time and consideration to craft your message in a way that speaks to your audience and gets them excited about what you do!
Whether you’re preparing for a business meeting, virtual presentation, or media interview, here are my top tips to communicate your message effectively and leave your audience in no doubt why that message matters.
- Keep it simple. You are an expert in your subject matter, but oftentimes your audience is not. Remember to keep your message simple and relatable. As a rule of thumb, I recommend communicating your message as if you are speaking to a middle schooler or above.
- Keep it short. If you can keep your message to under 30 seconds (or 75 words), in the English speaking language, people are more likely to remember it!
- Showcase Your Credibility. This is your reputation, how believable you are. You can highlight your experience by saying, “I’ve spent 20 years in the industry…” or “after extensive research…”
- Show Empathy. Being able to understand another’s situation makes you less robotic and more relatable.
- Tell A Story. This is really where the magic happens in your message. People remember stories because stories have outcomes and lessons, so try to incorporate a story into your message.
- Keep It Positive. Even the word “No” or “I don’t know” can be negative. If you can try eliminating negative phrases from your verbal communication, people will more likely be able to understand the message you are trying to get across and therefore a better chance of being remembered.
- Repetition is the key to retention! People always ask, is it OK to repeat my main message? Absolutely! The more you repeat it, the more likely people will remember it. Find natural ways to share your message more than once in a conversation, interview, or presentation.
- Use Power Words – These are words that help you move a conversation forward in a constructive way, no matter what topic is on the table. A few of my favorites include: excited, proud, motivated, and dedicated.
- Practice your message out loud! If you have written or typed your message, you’ve only done 10% of the work. The other 90% involves you practicing saying your message out loud. Practice on your own Zoom line, practice in the mirror, practice with your partner and colleagues, and get your message ingrained in your bones!