Nardi Media’s Black Lives Matter Book Club
In an effort to better educate ourselves on racial injustice and create an open forum for meaningful conversations with friends, neighbors, and mentors of all colors, Nardi Media is excited to announce our Black Lives Matter Book Club launching on Monday, June 29th. We’ve created this book club to help increase our knowledge, understanding, and awareness of racism and anti-racism through the power of one of the earliest mediums of storytelling, with the hope that by educating ourselves, we will be better equipped to spark a wave of change in our communities and across our country.
Our Black Lives Matter Book Club is meant to be a safe and collaborative community for education and awareness of racial issues and injustice, as well as a meaningful way to champion black authors who have used their platform to educate, inspire, and use their voice to speak for those who cannot or for those who might be afraid to.
Here’s How it Works:
- Joining the Book Club – Members will be invited to join the private Black Lives Matter Book Club Facebook Page. This page will host private group discussions, book announcements, question prompts, and any necessary updates.
- Book Club Entering Fee: Join for $100, and 100% of the proceeds will go to Black Lives Matter, a global organization in the US, UK, and Canada, whose mission is to eradicate white supremacy and build local power to intervene in violence inflicted on Black communities by the state and vigilantes.
- Book Frequency – The goal is to read one book each month. Can’t join us every single month? No problem! We will read both fiction and non-fiction books written by black authors.
- Voting for Next Month’s Book – Each month, we will post a poll on our Facebook page for members to vote on the next book we read, and the book with the most votes will be selected! We’ll announce the new book on our Facebook page and in a newsletter 3 weeks prior to the start of the next reading month to give members enough time to purchase the book.
- Purchasing the Book – All members are responsible for purchasing their own book each month. We’ve partnered with Mahogany Books, a DC-based independent bookstore that specializes in books written for, by or about people from the Africa diaspora. Club members are encouraged to purchase their books from Mahogany Books, which can provide both online orders and pick-up orders for local residents in Washington, DC.
In addition to book announcements, group discussions, and question prompts, the Black Lives Matter Book Club Facebook page will also host exclusive Author Q&A Sessions (dependent on author availability), as well as Featured Children’s Books recommended by Ashley Bernardi of Nardi Media.
We hope that through elevating these meaningful stories and lessons, we can better understand racial injustice and garner the power for unity and change.
Stay tuned for more details!